Re: DNSSEC Encryption for DNS registration and ITAR Nonsense

Well, as I understand it, the problem with the seven bad countries is that US
law generally prohibits any trading with them at all.  You can't sell them
cryptographic software but you also can't sell them a peanut butter and jelly
sandwitch or a rubber band or anything.  The restrictions against them are
based on international policy, not the nature of the articles you want to
trade.

Donald

On Thu, 27 Feb 1997, Bill Stewart wrote:

> Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 20:30:09 -0800
> From: Bill Stewart <[email protected]>
> To: [email protected]
>
> At 10:14 AM 2/12/97 -0500, "Donald E. Eastlake 3rd" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >People may want to note that yesterday (Feb 11th) the IESG approved the DNS
> >dynamic update and DNS secure dynamic update (draft-ietf-dnssec-update-04.txt
> >and draft-ietf-dnsind-dynDNS-11.txt) as Proposed Standards.  The base DNS
> >security protocol was approved some time ago and is now out as RFC 2065.
>
> Details are on http://www.tis.com/docs/research/network/dns.html
> It's a very interesting page - pointers to the RFC
> http://ds.internic.net/rfc/rfc2065.txt ,
> and downloadable beta code from TIS implementing it.  Cool stuff.
>
> But then there's the politial correctness part of the web page :-)
> > Trusted Information Systems, Inc. has received approval from the
> > United States Government for export and reexport of TIS/DNSSEC software
> > from the United States of America under the provisions of the Export
> > Administration Regulations (EAR) General Software Note (GSN) license
> > exception for mass market software.  Under the provisions of this license,
> > this software may be exported or reexported to all destinations except
> > for the embargoed countries of Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Libya, North Korea,
> > Sudan and Syria.  Any export or reexport of TIS/DNSSEC software to the
> embargoed
> > countries requires additional, specific licensing approval from the
> > United States Government.
>
> Yup.  Can't let those Cubans secure their DNS.....  At least the government
> did decide to permit export.
>

> #			Thanks;  Bill
> # Bill Stewart, +1-415-442-2215 [email protected]
> # You can get PGP outside the US at ftp.ox.ac.uk/pub/crypto/pgp
> #     (If this is a mailing list, please Cc: me on replies.  Thanks.)

Donald E. Eastlake 3rd     +1 508-287-4877(tel)     [email protected]
   318 Acton Street        +1 508-371-7148(fax)     [email protected]
Carlisle, MA 01741 USA     +1 703-620-4200(main office, Reston, VA)
http://www.cybercash.com           http://www.eff.org/blueribbon.html