Re: SecureFile - Just the way to re-discover your privacy.

On Fri, 7 Mar 1997, Anand Abhyankar wrote:

> Querisoft's SecureFile v1.0 Beta for Windows NT and Windows 95 (with IE
> 3.x) is now available
> for download from http://www.querisoft.com/securefile.html. This is one
> of the first client
> applications that uses Microsoft's CAPI 2.0 (beta)

Since your page claims it has been deemed exportable:

Which public key cypher does it use?

what key lengths are available for the public key cypher?

Which secret key cypher does it use?  If DES, which mode and how many rounds?

Which secure hash do you use on the passphrase to protect the private key?

Is there a stronger, non-export version?

Can the cyphers used by SecureFile be replaced by ones of our own design?
(Say if I want to add RSA-2048, or DH, or Elliptic Curve PK cyphers, or
Idea, or Blowfish, or 3DES, or superencrypt with several secret key
cyphers?)

Is it crippled in any way?

Is source code available for review?

Any hooks for key recovery?  If someone loses their key can they get it
back?

You rely on Internet Exploer's DLLs to be available on your machines.  In
light of the recent holes discovered will those affect your product?
Which IE DLLs does your product use?

It's available for 95 and NT, that means an Intel version.  Have you got
any Alpha, MIPS, or PPC versions for NT on those platforms?

How does your product compare to F-Secure's Desktop?

Why would we trust your product?

.+.^.+.|  Ray Arachelian    | "If  you're  gonna die,  die  with your|./|\.
..\|/..|[email protected]|boots on;  If you're  gonna  try,  just |/\|/\
<--*-->| ------------------ |stick around; Gonna cry? Just move along|\/|\/
../|\..| "A toast to Odin,  |you're gonna die, you're gonna die!"    |.\|/.
.+.v.+.|God of screwdrivers"|  --Iron Maiden "Die With Your Boots on"|.....
  For with those which eternal lie, with strange eons even death may die.