Dark Fiber Redux

Just to throw a little gasoline on the George Gilder "Dark Fiber"
discussion around here, I found a huge, spiffy trove of Gilderama at:

http://www.computer.org/internet/9701/gilder9701.htm

Wherein the esteemed (at least I do ;-)) Mr. G says:

> Remember that the fibersphere I've written a lot about is based on
>wavelength-division multiplexing of tremendous amounts of bandwidth, which
>can serve as a substitute for switches with all optical repeaters. And by
>the way they've just developed fluoro-zirconate repeaters that can handle
>the whole bandwidth of fiber. I don't know whether this technology will
>actually prove out or not, but for the first time they have demonstrable
>all-optical amplifiers that can handle the entire intrinsic bandwidth of
>fiber, which is quite an amazing development in just a year or two. The
>erbium-doped fiber amplifiers top out at 4.5 terahertz, so they can't
>accommodate the potentially 25-75 terahertz that every fiber,
>theoretically, could hold.

What this means, of course, is that (kind of, as CDMA etc., counts a
switching, I guess) like wireless, electromagnetic bandwidth, some day
you'll have huge glops of non-switched fiber bandwidth to play with. In
theory, at least, everyone gets a color, or frequency, and they listen on
that frequency for their inbound stuff. If you want to send someone
something, you literally tune them in and send it. Actually, I see these
frequencies using CDMA carrier waves when it eventually happens, but you
get the idea.

The implications for cryptography are rather cool. I don't *think*  these
doped optical amplifiers interfere with so-called quantum cryptography (not
to be confused with quantum computing, of course). If I remember my SciAm
back issues, quantum crypto is cool, because if anyone touches the signal
from Alice to Bob they're detected immediately. Or, is it that the signal
drops? Can't remember which. Anyway, you need uninterrupted fiber to do QC,
and that's what you have with optical non-switched amplification, whether
you're disturbing the photons is another story. Anyone here know for sure?
I remember discussion about this, but I don't remember the answer.

Cheers,
Bob Hettinga

Robert Hettinga ([email protected]), Philodox
e$, 44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA
"Never attribute to conspiracy what can be
explained by stupidity." -- Jerry Pournelle
The e$ Home Page: http://www.shipwright.com/rah/