Re: Market Failures, Monocultures, and Dead Kids (Oh My!)

"Timothy C. May" <[email protected]> writes:

> At 5:48 PM -0600 3/17/97, Igor Chudov @ home wrote:
> >do you also oppose mandatory liability insurance?
>
> Yes.

In New York State, every motorist is supposed to have $10K insurance as
well as a licence. Of course, a lot of drivers in New York City have
no licences or expired/suspended licences, and no insurance. If you're
injured by an uninsured driver, or someone who fled, or someone with
no assets and a $10K insurance and $500K claim, then your only hope
to recover something is to carry "underinsurance insurance" with your
own insurer. I understand that it's even messier in New Jersey.

It would be much healthier if instead of trying to file a claim
against the other party's insuerer (if it exists :-) you always
filed a claim against your own insuerer and let them figure out
who to sue. The system doesn't work.

> (By the way, Igor, could you make a greater effort to snip out sections of
> posts you are not directly commenting upon?)

Learn to ignore what you're not interested in, Timmy.

---