NSA responds to criticism over weakening cellular crypto

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 15:50:40 -0800 (PST)
From: Declan McCullagh <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Subject: NSA responds to criticism over weakening cellular crypto

John Markoff writes in today's NYT:

	Several telecommunications industry officials said the
	pressure came from the National Security Agency, which feared
	that stronger encryption technology might allow criminals or
	terrorists to conspire with impunity by cellular phones.

	But independent security experts now say that the code is easy
	enough to crack that anyone with sufficient technical skills
	could make and sell a monitoring device that would be as easy
	to use as a police scanner is.

Below the NSA's Clint Brooks responds to Dave Banisar.

-Declan