Re: remailer spam throttle

Dimitri Vulis <[email protected]> writes:
> Igor Chudov <[email protected]> writes:
> > [uses list of hashes of email addreses to reduce value of the database
> > to the attacker]
> >
> > Well, they can compile the list of addresses off of USENET postings and
> > such and then compute the hashes of the compiled names and identify
> > those that are on the anon acceptance list. Not that it completely
> > invalidates the idea, but certainly it is a problem.
>
> Another feature I really don't like about asking the first-time recipients
> to agree to accept e-mail while it's on the reamailer is:
>
> With the present scheme, if a remailer is "raided", it has precious little
> interesting stuff on it at any one time. Now consider the scenario:
>
> X sends 1000 copies of child porn/seditious libel to 100 people
> believed not to be using remailers right now.  The remailer keeps
> the 100 e-mails onits hard disk and e-mails each receipient a ping,
> inviting them to agree to the disclaimer terms and to retrieve their
> anonymous e-mail.  The first recipient to retrieve the e-mail gets
> upset and contacts the feds.  The feds figure, the remailer still
> has the 99 other e-mails and the information on who's supposed to
> receive them in its queue; why not seize it and take a look.

Here's a partial solution to that: in the ping email informing the
recipient there is mail waiting, you include a key, encrypt the
message body that you are retaining data with the key and then discard
the key.  Give a deadline: "your message will be deleted in 5 days".
They re-supply the key when they request the message.  You immediately
decrypt and send it back to them, discarding all knowledge of them
(email, encrypted message, encryption key).

One snag is that you still have addresses for recipients on your
machine so they can go harass people and ask them for the keys to the
as yet uncollected messages.

Refinement to solution (I like this one), get rid of the intended
recipients address immediately after sending the ping, just keep the
encrypted body of the message.  Include in the ping something which
reliably selects a message (say first encrypted line, SHA1 hash of
encrypted message, whatever, to save you having to try to decrypt all
of your messages).

> [keyserver with I-accept-anon-email bit consulted by remailer, no
> key in remailer => instant trash of message and ping message
> explaining how to accept anon email]

This sounds a lot like the distributed block and accept list idea
which has been discussed a bit.

I like your treatment of the remailed material as a `hot potato',
instantly pass it on or burn it.

> Right now, there's a very large number of addresses in the key servers.
> Instantly making them into a list of addresses that accept anon mail
> will make it hard (hopefully infeasible) for the LEAs to investigate
> everyone willing to accept anon e-mail as a suspect in sending it.

The per remailer block list system kind of does this at the moment,
only the list of people initially marked down as willing to accept
anon email is the world.

Everyone can recieve email, but people get blocked when they complain.

Incidentally, it has occurred to me for a while now that the reverse
problem also exists: if I suspect you (Dimitri) use remailers, I can
forge a message from you to all the remailer operators requesting that
I (ie you) be blocked.  I can include some exceedingly dire legal
threats to the remailer operator, and dig up some vile messages from
some dark corner of usenet which I falsely claim came through that
operators remailer.  As the remailer operator doesn't keep logs he
won't be able to recognize the falsehood of the accusation.

To solve this problem you need to do a ping message, "please reply
with this nonce to be blocked".

Adam