Killfiles (was: spambots)

Toto <[email protected]> writes:

> Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM wrote:
> >
> > Killfiles? So many scumbags whine about their inability to use them,
> > so they try to silence whomever they don't like.
>
>   Or they have them and still try to silence those whom they
> don't like.

Sure - remember how Sandy Sandfart, the marketing guy from C2Net, claimed
that he's already filtering out me e-mail on this list, but wanted me
silenced to protect the "newbies" who haven't yet filtered me out?

> > Yes, if Alice just posts her regexps on a public Web page, a clueful
> > person can automatically fetch them and add them to his killfile or
> > even forge cancels for Bobs' articles that contain them.
> >
> > I think this would be a stupid thing to do because Bobs' articles
> > may contain useful information besides Alice's ad. Also the regexp
> > might occur in a followup to Bob's article, which may contain
> > useful information.
>
>   Some CypherPunks regularly brag about the size of their
> killfiles.

The anonymous coward known as "Lucky Green" likes to publicly *PLONK*
anyone he disagrees with.  This is supposed to represent the sound the
address makes as it hits the killfile.  of course once Lucky Green
*PLONKS* someone, he becomes obsessed with that person - stalks them
around and follows up on anything they say with his Cabal drivel.

>   To me, this is not a far cry from bragging about not reading
> anything written by niggers, "Cause they ain't not got nothing
> to say less'n they say they is goin' back to Africa."

Well - they're welcome to killfile whatever they don't like. No one's
forcing them to read the traffic they don't want. Problem is, net.scum
like Cocksucker John Gilmore and Timmy May want to prevent others from
having access to the information the net.scum wants to suppress.

In a recent incident, a teenage Cabal stooge has published a defamatory
web page known as "Global Killfile" and advertised it heavily on usenet.
As the result, the wife of one of the people mentioned in the "Global
Killfile" just had her plug pulled by her ISP who cited this as the only
reason for their action.  I think they have a very good civil case -
better than C2Net's barratrous threats.

> > But of course a reader is welcome to cut off his own nose to spite
> > and face and to killfile anything he likes - as long as he doesn't
> > prevent others from reading what they feel like reading.
>
>   During the censorship experiment on the list, many of the
> list members showed their flat-foreheaded tendencies by calling
> for the censoring of anyone who deviated from the norm.

Definitely - and I remember everyone who supported Cocksucker John Gilmore.

On a related topic, consider the make.money.fast spam.  Anyone with half a
clue can killfile it both in Usenet and in e-mail, since it contains essentially
the same key words. But a number of people feel obliged to forge cancels for
MMF posted to Usenet because it's supposed to be a pyramid scheme that's
supposed to be illegal in *some* jusrisdictions. Following the same logic,
the government of Singapore can forge cancels for any Usenet articles
critical of their Hitler-like leader because such criticism is illegal
in Singapore.

---