Cokie Roberts on How Internet Is Ruining Representative Government

This is days old, but I had to get permission to forward it.  I thought it
was right on the money and I haven't seen or missed any discussion on it.

David

Date: Sun, 13 Apr 1997 08:01:20 -0400
From: Stephen Gilchrist <[email protected]>

The Roberts are part of the problem, perfectly representing the
nauseating symbiotic relationship between journalists, politicians and
the few organizations which really shape legislation.  They aren't
really concerned about the potential move from a representative to a
direct government. . .PACs have already done that.  What they're
concerned about is a real opportunity to upset the status quo.

This is merely an chance for those who have become effectively
disenfranchised (by not belonging to a PAC) to have their views
considered.  The fact that this may actually help remove money from the
equation and will allow more people access to a forum and answers not
shaped by media reporting is probably a real threat to those who've
grown comfortable and rich with the current way of doing business.  No
wonder they're shuddering.