Re: Cato forum on liquor advertising and electronic media

At 10:20 AM -0800 4/25/97, Bill Stewart wrote:

>Meanwhile, back on Television, the "We know what's best for you"
>program ratings are getting panned by everyone.  I almost wonder if the
>TV moguls decided to do a deliberately unsatisfactory rating system
>rather that giving the censorship people the amount of control they want?

Ah, but the likelihood is now greater that even more restrictive ratings
and censorship will be imposed. After all, when have you known statists to
back off simply because a policy doesn't work as promised?

>The proposed "sex/violence/language" ratings left out an important category
>many parents would like in deciding what their kids can watch -- "Greed".
>And neither the proposed nor the enacted systems rates commercials....
>So you won't be able to set that V-Chip to auto-block commercials.
>Attachment converted: APS 1GB Fireball:PYRBBROW.GIF (GIFf/JVWR) (0000F3F7)

I know I sound like a broken record, but these "attachments" are getting
out of hand. I periodically look at my attachments folder and find several
dozen or more various attached files...GIFs I'll never look at, Postscript
versions of postings to the list, binaries of programs for platforms I
can't possibly use, and even .WAV sound files. Arrgghhh!

(This GIF I opened...it appears to be a beer bottle with a star hanging
around the neck. Self-ratings of beer?)

--Tim May