Re: SAFE Bill discussion

At 09:47 AM 5/2/97 -0400, Shabbir J. Safdar wrote:
>By attacking the supporters of the bill, you're attacking CDT, the ACLU,
>EPIC, VTW, EFF, Eagle Forum, Americans for Tax Reform, and PGP Inc.  You're
>saying that all the Internet advocates have turned against crypto?
>
>I don't think so.  I think you're sense of perspective is out of whack.

I think the members of the privacy coalition suffer from the EFF syndrome.
The same syndrome that got us Digital Telephony, because the EFF got
suckered into believing that it "was the best deal we could get". Yeah,
right. The government managed to sucker the EFF then. Now, they are
suckering the members of the "privacy" coalition into supporting a law that
will gain us *nothing* we don't already have while potentially putting
citizens away for five years for the most minor offenses.

SAFE must be either completely rewritten (unlikely) or defeated.

-- Lucky Green <mailto:[email protected]> PGP encrypted mail preferred

   "I do believe that where there is a choice only between cowardice and
    violence, I would advise violence." Mahatma Gandhi