Re: Rejecting Dialog with Government Vermin

On Mon, May 05, 1997 at 12:31:12AM -0500, snow wrote:
> Kent Crispin wrote:
> > AP? You apparently don't have direct knowledge of this, but after a
> > certain level of economic security has been reached economics becomes
> > a much less important as a motivator [Maslow].
>
> 	Bullshit:
>
> 	Donald Trump. Leona Helmsley, The Kennedy Clan, etc.
>
> 	I would say that with economics, the _more_ you have the more
> it motivates your life.

And of course, Tim May, and John Gillmore.

"Economics" was a poor choice of word on my part, and you make a good
point.  However, IMO all three examples you give are clearly more
motivated by power and gamesmanship than they are by economics.  The
Kennedys, especially, long ago switched to politics.

In general, past a certain level of wealth people remain in the game
because they enjoy playing it, not because they need the money.
Prior to that level they seek money because they believe they need
it.  Some people find it hard to make that transition, and continue
to believe they need money long after all objective reasons have
disappeared.

--
Kent Crispin				"No reason to get excited",
[email protected]			the thief he kindly spoke...