Re: Eternity server considerations and musings

At 10:18 AM -0700 5/13/97, Paul Bradley wrote:
>The proxies idea however can be extended to censor usenet, usenet
>traffic, although pretty huge, is not yet too large to be grep`d for
>keywords (currently around 600mb of traffic a day passes through the
>newsgroups) before being proxied, so a government can run a server which
>first checks to ensure the usenet article is not encrypted (this can be
>done crudely by checking for occurances of common words or by checking
>the redundancy of the text by attempting to compress it) and if it is
>encrypted junks it, if it is plaintext, greps it for keywords like
>"assasination", "anarchy", "porn" etc... then kills the articles that
>have these words in them, the other articles the government does not want
>to censor are put on a main server like news.fourth-reich.de and access
>blocked to all the other news servers.

Obviously you need to stego your message in a post that passes the
automatic censor.  The important question is what is the minimum data
expansion you can get away with?  I see an "arms race" in the making.

Bill Frantz       | God could make the world   | Periwinkle -- Consulting
(408)356-8506     | in six days because he did | 16345 Englewood Ave.
[email protected] | not have an installed base.| Los Gatos, CA 95032, USA