Anarchy Books

At 2:22 PM -0700 5/14/97, Tim May wrote:
>The meaning of anarchy, and how it differs from chaos and random killings,
>has been discussed many times. David Friedman's "The Machinery of Freedom"
>is a good book to start with. Bruce Benson's "The Enterprise of Law" also
>discusses how lawlessness is not at all a necessary part of "no rulers"

For anarchy in a fictional setting I recommend two books by Ursula K.
LeGuin.  "The Dispossessed" and "Always Coming Home".

In a lecture several years ago in San Francisco, she said of the two books
that in "The Dispossessed" I set out to describe an anarchy.  In "Always
Coming Home" I just let it happen.

BTW - When I read "Always Coming Home", I was over half-way thru the book
before I had any idea of what it was about.  Be prepared for a long period
of confusion as to why you are reading it.

Bill Frantz       | God could make the world   | Periwinkle -- Consulting
(408)356-8506     | in six days because he did | 16345 Englewood Ave.
[email protected] | not have an installed base.| Los Gatos, CA 95032, USA