Re: FW: Anonymous Remailers

At 7:34 AM -0800 5/15/97, Roger J. Jones wrote:

>Roger J Jones Responded
>Several of you have suggested as Tim has that the chain of remailers is
>secure.  I suggest that the statement is only true to the extent that one
>wants to trace back a particular message.  On the other hand, if one wants
>to find the source of postings to anonymous remailers and has skilled
>access to the Internet the task is quite simple and does not even require
>attacking the remailers.  Of
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Care to tell us how this tracing is done without cooperation of the remailers?

Perhaps you don't understand how remailers work, how many messages they
accumulate to provide the mixing entropy, and how long they typically delay
messages. (Latency, or the delay, is not the central issue...mixing entropy
is. But, in practice, latency is associated with this.)

>I still seem to be missing something.........

I agree. But we can't help you, as you seem to be unknowledgeable about the
basic nature of digital mixes. If you won't take the time to figure out the
basics of how they work, how can we keep writing articles trying to correct
your misapprehensions?

--Tim May