Re: Anonymous remailers: A call to arms wanted

(A copy of this message has also been posted to the following newsgroups:
misc.survivalism,  alt.cypherpunks)

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:

> Please, wackos, set up an alt.* group for your drivel.  It is the
> idiots like you you have the media and the general populace believing
> that all of us are just like you.
>
> Thanks to you, I have to be very careful about who I talk to about
> "certain subjects", and my wife thinks I am paranoid for taking what I
> view as reasonable precautions.
>
> I know I don't speak for everyone on the group, but I also know I'm
> hardly alone.  GO AWAY!

Anonymous remailers protect speakers from retaliation. The Founders used
anonymity, as the pseudonymous writings in the Federalist Papers show.

Granted, some anonymous posts are drivel, some are even illegal.

So?

The government is attempting to get anonymous remailers shut down, is
proposing restrictions on strong cryptography, and is trying to make it
look as though anyone supporting these things is a kind of right-wing
militia member crazy.

If you don't _like_ something, some opinion, either ignore it or write a
rebuttal. But don't play their game by saying there's something basically
_wrong_ with anonymous remailers.

--Tim May