Re: encryption laws

On Thu, 15 Jul 1993, Allan Thompson wrote:

>         Would it be possible for a court to subpeona a encrypted file or key,
> and order you to tell them the key ?
> If you didn't would you be held in 'contempt of court' ?

Well, it's probable that you could use the 5th amendment to prevent it,
but yes, I suspect you could have problems with that defense.

Ryan Anderson - <Pug Majere>     "Who knows, even the horse might sing"
Wayne State University - CULMA   "May you live in interesting times.."
[email protected]                        Ohio = VYI of the USA
PGP Fingerprint - 7E 8E C6 54 96 AC D9 57  E4 F8 AE 9C 10 7E 78 C9