Re: Jim Bell Complaint

On Sat, May 24, 1997 at 12:48:52AM -0400, Lynne L. Harrison wrote:
[...]
>Agreed.  As we all know, tax evasion charges have been used by the IRS when
>the FBI has felt that it is unable to prove other charges.  Its use against
>organized crime is a prime example.

IANAL, but in this case it looks like the IRS was involved from the
beginning.

[...]
>the SS number charges and the failure to file income tax returns.  Perhaps,
>the other acts, wherein no specific statutes are alleged to have been
>violated, are mentioned as a means to make a showing that Bell is a danger to
>the community and, therefore, a factor for asking the magistrate to set no
>bail.

And to establish motive.

Is it perhaps possible that, since the charge includes the idea of
"interfering" with the IRS, that there was an element of
"intimidation", and so on, that there may be specific clauses in the
statute cited that may have bearing?

[...]

>If there is one.  As you stated above and IMHO based upon what I have read,
>the IRS has a strong case regarding the SS numbers/tax evasion charges.  This
>matter may very well be resolved via a plea bargain.

It also seems to me that the IRS has a potentially strong case.  Given
that, what would be Bell's likely sentence, and how much could he
reduce it with a plea bargain? It certainly seems like the
weapons/AP/poison_gas/sabatoge stuff makes it *much* harder for him to
plea bargain (which may be why it is there).

--
Kent Crispin				"No reason to get excited",
[email protected]			the thief he kindly spoke...