EVENT: Online town hall meeting with Rep. Bob Goodlatte (June 3, 8:30pm

     _                                                             _
  __| | ___ _ __ ___   ___   ___ _ __ __ _  ___ _   _   _ __   ___| |_
 / _` |/ _ \ '_ ` _ \ / _ \ / __| '__/ _` |/ __| | | | | '_ \ / _ \ __|
| (_| |  __/ | | | | | (_) | (__| | | (_| | (__| |_| |_| | | |  __/ |_
 \__,_|\___|_| |_| |_|\___/ \___|_|  \__,_|\___|\__, (_)_| |_|\___|\__|
                                                |___/
                         Government Without Walls
Update No.8              http://www.democracy.net/            May 29 1997
Table of Contents

 - Join Encryption Warrior Rep. Bob Goodlatte (R-VA)
 - Background on Rep. Bob Goodlatte (R-VA)
 - How to participate in the Online Town Hall Meeting
 - Upcoming Events
 - About democracy.net

JOIN REP. BOB GOODLATTE (R-VA) LIVE ONLINE TUESDAY JUNE 3, 8:30 PM ET

Who is Congressman Bob Goodlatte?  Depending on your point of view, the
Republican Congressman from Virginia is either a steadfast champion of
online privacy, or a supporter of censorship in cyberspace.

This year, Rep. Goodlatte has been leading a successful charge to
overturn the Clinton administration's encryption control policies.
Goodlatte is the principal author of H.R. 695, "The Security and Freedom
through Encryption (SAFE) Act." -- a bill designed to promote privacy
and security on the Internet by encouraging the widespread availability
of encryption technology.  Goodlatte's efforts to protect privacy and
prohibit the government from imposing "key-escrow" and
"key-recovery" domestically have won him praise from Internet users.

The SAFE bill was recently approved by the House Judiciary Committee
(the first time an encryption reform bill has ever cleared a major
Congressional committee), and is now headed to the House International
Relations Committee where a tougher fight is expected.

But in 1995, Rep. Goodlatte was a leading supporter of the
Communications Decency Act (CDA) -- a law which for the first time
imposed broad content regulations on the Internet.  The CDA is currently
being reviewed by the Supreme Court and a decision is expected before
the end of June.

Join Congressman Goodlatte for a live, Virtual Town Hall meeting and
find out what makes him tick.

You can submit questions in advance by visiting
http://www.democracy.net. The discussion will be moderated by Todd
Lappin, Section Editor at Wired Magazine.

BACKGROUND ON REP. BOB GOODLATTE (R-VA)

[This information is taken verbatim from Rep. Goodlatte's World Wide Web
 page at http://www.house.gov/goodlatte/]

Bob Goodlatte, age 44, was elected to serve as the Sixth District's
Congressman in November of 1992. He was re-elected to his second term
without opposition in 1994.

He is a graduate of Washington and Lee University School of Law, and
his undergraduate degree in Government was earned at Bates College in
Lewiston, Maine.

Before being elected to Congress, Bob served as former Congressman
Caldwell Butler's District Office Manager from 1977 to 1979, where he
was responsible for helping folks across the Sixth District. In 1979,
he founded his own private law practice in Roanoke. He is a former
partner in the law firm of Bird, Kinder and Huffman, working there from
1981 until taking office.

Bob has long been active in his community, serving as President of the
Civitan Club of Roanoke, and he's been active with the Parent Teachers
Association at his children's public school and with the United Way of
the Roanoke Valley.

Bob serves on the Judiciary Committee and the Agriculture Committee.
His subcommittee assignments on Judiciary are: the Constitution
Subcommittee and the Courts & Intellectual Property Subcommittee. His
subcommittee assignments on Agriculture are: the Livestock Subcommittee
and the Department Operations and Nutrition Program Subcommittee where
he serves as the Chairman.

After Republicans won the majority, Whip Tom DeLay (R-Texas) selected
Bob to serve as an Assistant Whip.

Bob and Maryellen, his wife of 22 years, live in Roanoke with their two
children, Jenny and Bobby.

INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO PARTICIPATE

     * Interactive Town Hall Meeting with Rep. Bob Goodlatte (R-VA) *

 DATE:      Tuesday June 3, 1997
 TIME:      8:30 pm Eastern (5:30 pm Pacific)
 LOCATION:  http://www.democracy.net

In advance of the town hall meeting, please visit http://www.democracy.net
and fill out the form to ask Rep. Goodlatte a question.  We will collect
the questions and forward them to the moderator on the day of the event, and
will make every effort to ensure that questions from constituents are asked
first.

1. Attend and ask Rep. Goodlatte a question!

   Please mark this date in your calendar: Tuesday June 3, 8:30PM Eastern
   at http://democracy.net/

2. Get your friends and co-workers to join the discussion

   Members of Congress love to hear from their constituents. If you have
   friends that live in the district, please forward this invitation and
   encourage them to attend.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Visit http://www.democracy.net for upcoming event information.

ABOUT DEMOCRACY.NET

The democracy.net is a joint project of the Center for Democracy and
Technology (CDT) and the Voters Telecommunications Watch (VTW) to explore
ways of enhancing citizen participation in the democratic process via
the Internet.

To this end, democracy.net hosts live, interactive cybercasts of
Congressional Hearings and online town hall meetings with key policy makers.

democracy.net is made possible through the generous support of WebActive,
Public Access Networks, the Democracy Network, and DIGEX Internet.  More
information about the project and its sponsors can be found at
http://www.democracy.net/about/

To receive democracy.net announcements automatically, please visit our
signup form at http://www.democracy.net/ or send mail to
[email protected] with "subscribe events" in the body of the message.

End update no.8                                                    05/29/1997