No Subject

           Last Friday, in a town hall
           meeting on education in Clarksburg, West
           Virginia, President Clinton made some news on
           the technology front.

           Answering a question from a parent about how
           to keep children safe on the Net, the president
           talked about the Communications Decency Act's
           travails in federal court. Then he said "we're
           working on" a technological fix, a V-chip for PCs
           that could protect children from harm. Later,
           reporters pressed White House aides on
           whether there was a new V-chip initiative. The
           new chip is out there, they said, somewhere
           "within the industry."