Re: legal EAR work-around/Paper based remailers

In <[email protected]>, on 05/31/97
   at 09:53 AM, Adam Back <[email protected]> said:

>EAR says that you can't export crypto in electronic form.  EAR says you
>can export crypto in textual form.  We have electronic cash in terms of
>MT banks digicash.  Email is more convenient for exporting crypto source
>code and binaries that snail mail.

>Let's do it.

>Here's what we need:

>1. US entrepreneur to accept mail with

>	::
>	Snail-To: <street address (outside US)>
>	Snail-Fee: <Fee + 2c/sheet + postage stamp charge, digicash>
>	Scanning-Fee: <50c/sheet, digicash>
>	Request-Remailing-To: <[email protected]>
>	Anon-Post-To: alt.cypherpunks

>   US volunteer strips off first two headers, prints out the document
>   in a large OCR friendly font.  Puts in envelope and posts at
>   highest priority snail that can be paid for out of the included
>   postage (overnight/air-mail/slow-boat).

>2. Non-US entrepreneur to scan and remail results

>	::
>	Scanning-Fee: <50c/sheet, digicash>
>	Request-Remailing-To: <[email protected]>
>	Anon-Post-To: alt.cypherpunks

>   US volunteer scans the sheets, mails/post them to the requested
>   email address/newsgroup, and collects his digicash fee per sheet.

>I volunteer for #2.  (You understand the importance of the
>Scanning-Fee, I can pay someone to feed sheets into a scanner if needs be
>with a fee, without that I can become overloaded with a ream of paper
>representing the binary for PGP5.0).

>Legal questions: I'd be interested in legal interpretations of whether
>the above scheme is legal for the US entrepreneur.  Peter Junger said a
>short while ago on the list that printed material could be exported under
>the EAR regulations administered by Commerce Dept.  Does this scheme
>qualify?

>Technical questions: If this is to include uuencoded or radix-64 mime
>encoding, we might want to think about redundancy to allow error
>correction.  Perhaps we want that anyway to ensure that what we have is
>100% character-by-character perfect.  Or perhaps not as it may damage the
>legality aspects.  They may start saying that you can only export human
>readable stuff on paper, etc.  Then we move on to `texto' apparently
>human readable steganographically encoded paper based remailer messages.

Hi Adam,

Why bother with all of this. If you want to export crypto then just do it.
As long as we keep up with this mickymouse approach to exports trying to
appease the FEDs who are acting unconstitutionaly on this matter things
will never change. Put up a web page or a ftp site with the crypto
binaries and let whomever wishes to download them download them.

I have done this and I will continue to do this dispite what the goons in
DC have to say about it.

We must all hang together or we will all hang.

- --
William H. Geiger III  http://www.amaranth.com/~whgiii

OS/2 PGP 2.6.3a at: http://www.amaranth.com/~whgiii/pgpmr2.html