New SSN Law

Robert A. Costner wrote:

> Why does the store need my social security number for me to purchase soft
> drinks and eggs?  (40 cents off on eggs this week)  I see no reason for it.
> If I provide a false number, I have probably committed some crime.
>
> Yes, I would support a law that forbids private companies to ask for social
> security numbers except for tax purposes.

  Am I missing something? Didn't we used to have one of those?
Wasn't that changed so that government and corporate interests
could put us all in more efficient boxes to control us and make
money off of us?
  Some states already use the SSN on the driver's licenses. More
will follow. The SSN is our National Identity Card and there is
no going back. The tattoo is history and the Identity Chip is the
future.