Re: Hacker Links page (fwd)

Forwarded message:
>From [email protected] Tue Jun  3 16:51:58 1997
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 15:02:09 -0700
From: Duffy <[email protected]>
To: James Choate <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Hacker Links page

James,

My most sincere apologies for any personal inconvenience to you in this
matter. The sole purpose of the request was just to ask you to delete a
link to a site. We didn't intend or foresee any problems with the
request, but there were and I believe a more detailed explanation is in
order.

We here at Telecode were notified by Mr. Lancaster several weeks ago
that he wished that the link(s) we had given to his site be removed. No
reason was given, and of course, none was required. We complied within 2
hours of the receipt of the e-mail and removed both links from our 2
site:

	http://www.hackerscatalog.com

	http://www.cinecam.com

On Monday, Mr. Lancaster did a search at HOTBOT and found another link
to what he "thought" to be a "Mirror" of our site, namely, your web page
with the links. When we looked at the page, we determined that it did
look like or was "close enough" to, our web page of Hackers Links at
www.hackerscatalog.com/web.htm.

We responded to him via e-mail that more than one person in the past has
posted this page to their site without permission (not needed anyway)
and that on several occasions our entire site has been lifted. We were
not pointing to you specifically, but just speaking in "general terms"
stating that's possibly how the linkage had occurred.

I also remarked that I would do my best to contact and ask that the link
be removed. I did this because it "appeared" to Mr. Lancaster that the
both yours and our site were somehow "connected". Of which, there are
not. We do not claim that there is any copyright infringement on you
part and we also state openly that your are the "true and rightful owner
of that page". We believe, because of the similarity of the pages, that
we had a "responsibility" at least to ask that you remove the link. So,
we did.

Again, I apologize for any inconvenience in this matter.

Duffy
Office Manager, Telecode
www.hackerscatalog.com