[CONTROVERSIAL]: A Defense of Terrorism

At 8:25 AM -0700 6/4/97, Jeremiah A Blatz wrote:
>Bill Frantz <[email protected]> writes:
>> At 4:50 PM -0700 6/3/97, Kent Crispin wrote:
>> >Contrast ["milita violence"] with the brilliance of the anarchist
>> >Eward Abbey in "The Monkey Wrench Gang", where the anti-government
>> >acts were calculated to call forth popular support.
><snip>
>> If you at least avoid killing people, then you have fewer bitter enemies
>> and a better chance of holding on to your winnings.  The examples of
>> Gandhi, King, and Mandala come to mind.  Contrast their success with the
>> results of the violence approach as exemplified by the generations old wars
>> in Ireland and Israel.
>
>You left out Sea Shepard, who sank the entire Icelandic whaling fleet
>(with zero casualties) on night. Earth First!, Greenpeace, and other
>somewhat-less-direct action groups have used "terrorist" means and
>achieved enourmous popular support.

I don't want to start "defending terrorism," esp. of the murderous sort,
but the plain fact for anyone to see is that terrorism often _does_ work.

Look at Palestine/Israel/the Zionist Insect/whatever.

Had the Palestinians calmly filed petitions to get the land back that was
seized by European Jews after the Second World War--the Brits often
referred to Palestinians and Arabs as "sand niggers"--would any land ever
have been transferred back?

(Zionists will probably jump in here citing the various wars which
triggered various land ownership changes, a la Gaza, the West Bank, parts
of Jerusalem, the Golan Heights, etc. We cannot generally argue "alternate
histories," though.)

It seems obvious that 40 years of "terrorist" (freedom fighting?) attacks
by "radical" Palestinian groups had a lot to do with Israeli voters and
government deciding enough was enough and agreeing to limited
self-government, etc.

(The whole area and political scene is notoriously complicated. I've never
been there, I'm not a Jew, nor am I a sand nigger, etc. I can't say whether
the political scene would have been resolved better or more peacably had
terrorism not occurred, but my strong suspicion is that the Palestinians
would still be filing their petitions and being given the bureaucratic
runaround had they never started blowing things up.)

Terrorism is also what the American colonists did to British soldiers.
Ambushing them from the trees was not a kosher form of attack (no pun
intended), nor was attacking their barracks at night. (Sounds like blowing
up the Americans in Beirut, doesn't it?)

(In fact, the act of terrorism against the 242 Marines in Beirut in 1983
"worked," didn't it? The Americans were on their way out within weeks.)

Yes, innocents die in such attacks. Yes, grieving mothers cry. Yes, yes,
yes to all of the denunciations of terrorism. But the fact is that all war
is a kind of terrorism, and all wars and all struggles have resulted in
deaths of innocents.

(Intereting that Bell is so widely condemned for wanting to transfer the
burden to the actual guilty parties, and not the innocents usually consumed
as fuel in wars.)

--Tim May