Re: Webpage picketing (fwd)

Hi,

Forwarded message:

> From: "William H. Geiger III" <[email protected]>
> Date: Wed, 04 Jun 97 10:00:46 -0500
> Subject: Re: Webpage picketing (fwd)

> I think that your analogy is slightly flawed.
>
> While the farmers have a right to protest on the side of the road they do
> not have a right to interfere with the travelers on the road.

Correct and using my model would in no way interfere with a users use of the
network. It would not add excessive delay or other impedemants. It would be
a one time event that occured when the site was initialy accessed. Much like
having to go past the picketers on the side of the road at least once.

> There is no real way you could picket on the "Info highway" as you have no
> right to interfere with the packets traveling on the highway. You can
> stand of to the side if you want but somehow I don't think that the
> packets will be watching. :)

If it is a fully privately funded highway, I agree. If it accepts public
money I obviously disagree with you. As to the packets watching, no more so
than the cars being used are watching the picketers. This is a straw man
argument. The issue here is not the packets but the paticipants.

  |            Speak the truth, but leave immediately after.              |
  |                                     Slovenian Proverb                 |
  |     Jim Choate                                 [email protected]         |
  |     The Armadillo Group                        www.ssz.com            |
  |     Austin, Texas, USA                         512-451-7087           |