Re: [CNN] Stolen Laptops and lame 'solution'

In <[email protected]>, on 06/11/97
   at 07:02 PM, "Raymond Mereniuk" <[email protected]> said:

>> How is the buyer responsible even indirectly?
>>
>> Someone puts an add in the paper NEC Laptop $1,500. I go and check it out
>> and buy it. Should it be my respocibility to call NEC over in Japan and
>>
>> If anyone is responcible for the theft other than the theif is the person
>> who was so carless with their equipment.
>>
>Legally Law Enforcement Agencies (LEA) and the courts willl find you
>responsible for being in possession  of stolen property.  If you
>purchased the unit from a storefront or a person selling the unit  from
>their home you could deflect responsibility to those parties.   I would
>suspect most stolen units are fdisk-ed,  re-formatted, and  moved a
>minimum of a state or province and then sold through brokers  who operate
>through a pager or cell phone.  The units are sold  probably more in the
>range of $600 to $700 CAN Dollars for 486 color  units and abit  more for
>Pentium units.  The brokers may offer the  unit through an auction.

They will be sold at whatever the market will bear for used equipment
regardless of how the equipment was obtained. Usally the person who steals
the equipment will not be the one selling it to the general public so any
discounts because the item is "hot" are usally gone before it get's to joe
sixpack.

>At this point the buyer should start to suspect something is not  right,
>the units are too cheap and all the proprietary drivers have  been
>removed.  The reason given is that they are being disposed of by  a large
>corporation and it is policy to erase all data.  No manuals  or
>documentation are offered with the unit.  Normally when you  purchase an
>unit from the original retail buyer manuals and  documentation and extras
>would be included with the unit and the  seller would probably be willing
>to show you the bill of sale.  Would  you buy a car from a seller
>offering no documentation or proof of  ownership.

There is no comparison between the two. For better or worse there are
state madated ownership papers for autos. I can see that you have not
spent much time in the used electronics market. Equipment may change hands
multiple time over a period of years before it finaly reaches your hands.
It is common for the seller not to have any documentation or recipts for
the equipment. To use your comparison you wouldn't expect the owners
manual & receipt from the dealship when you went to buy a '65 F100 would
you?

>It is tough to take the argument that stolen notebooks are the fault  of
>the victim seriously.  Notebook thieves can be pretty
>enterprising.  They walk into offices dressed as maintainance people,
>buy pass keys from the real maintainance people and go through every
>office.  A friend had a notebook taken from a locked office in a
>supposedly secure area, no signs of break and entry so no insurance
>coverage and there were notebooks and computers taken from three  locked
>offices in the middle of the day.  So in this case it was my  friend's
>fault for doing business in a shared office environment  where someone
>had sold a pass key to the thief??

No it was his fault for leaving the security of his property to someone
else who obviously has some rather poor security policies. I have wore out
more than 1 credit cards getting into locked offices because the key was
not available. The you have those that think a locked door is secure when
there is a 3' drop ceiling that anyone can use to climb over the door
with. If that had been $5,000 cash rather than that laptop I bet your
friend would have thought twice of leaving it in that room.

>If there was no market for stolen notebooks thieves would not steal  them
>as there would be no gain.  In my experience most people selling
>merchanise of doubtful origins are not sophisticated, ask lots of
>questions and their stories quickly fall apart.  I have walked away  from
>many deals when the origin of the goods were not clearly  explained and I
>would suggest you do the same.

Bah this is just bull. The purchaser of used equipment is not looking for
stolen equipment. The market is for inexpensive used equipment which
theifs take advantage of. This is an important difference to make. The
amount of stolen equipment in the used equipment market is quite small.
The end buyer should not be held responcible for the illegal activities of
the seller.

- --
William H. Geiger III  http://www.amaranth.com/~whgiii

OS/2 PGP 2.6.3a at: http://www.amaranth.com/~whgiii/pgpmr2.html