Re: [CNN] Stolen Laptops and lame 'solution'

On Wed, 11 Jun 1997, Raymond Mereniuk wrote:

> This has been discussed on this list before, about 1 year ago.  The
> Computrace software is installed on a place on the hard drive where
> DOS utilities like Fdisk and Format can not get at it.  This is the
> same as Diskmanager Version 7 or higher, Fdisk and Format will not
> remove this version of Diskmanager.

There you go, assuming DOS is the centre of the universe again.
I haven't seen this, but there's a pretty good chance that reformatting
the hard disk as a Linux partition and installing LILO would clean
that nuisance right up.  (If it didn't, you could probably just
use your favorite disk editor to find the Computrace code and zero
it out.)

OC this is all above the means of the average laptop thief, but the
dedicated ones probably have a staff techie.

dave

-- David E. Smith, P O Box 324, Cape Girardeau MO 63702
(573)334-0950  dave@[clas.net | linuxware.com | ml.org]
PLEASE ensure your mailer acknowledges my Reply-To: hdr
HWG Dilbert crypto Millennium Linux YDKJ PGP single! ;)