Re: FUCK YOU: There's no general right to privacy -- get over it, from Netly

In <[email protected]>, on
06/13/97
   at 11:38 AM, Ray Arachelian <[email protected]> said:

>On Fri, 13 Jun 1997, Declan McCullagh wrote:

>> Oh, and at least read the whole article.
>>
>> -Declan
>>
>>    Privacy? What Privacy?
>>
>>    by Declan McCullagh   June 12, 1997
>>
>>         I have a confession to make: Unlike many of my civil libertarian
>>    colleagues, I believe you have no general right to privacy online.
>>    Sure, you have the right to protect your personal data, but you
>>    shouldn't be able to stop someone else from passing along that
>>    information if you let it leave your computer. That's your
>>    responsibility.

>I still disagree, and not just online.  There is plenty of information
>that you have no control over but should.  Your credit card transactions
>for instance can be looked up by any scumbag willing to pay money to TRW
>and it's ilk.  Your DMV records, your health records.  In theory only
>those that need to know this knowledge should be able to access it, and
>in practice what have we seen so far?

Well lets see CC transactions are not just your info but the CC issuers
info & the merchants info. Should it be illegal for you to tell anyone
that you bought a HD from Segate or that you used your Carte Blanch card
to do it? If you don't like it pay *CASH*.

Health Records are only between you and your doctor unless you bring in a
3rd party (aka health insurance). Once you do that you have opened up your
records to whatever the policy of your insurance company is, don't like it
get a different insurance company or pay for it in, look out now,
*CASH*!!! (I have paid the last 10yrs of medical & dental bills all in
cash).

DMV records? They are treated the same as *ANY* state licence, they are
part of the public record. This includes land titles, auto titles, birth
certificates, death certificates, marrage & devorce records, any
perfesional license (Doctor, Engeneere, CPA, Archetic, ...ect). As far as
your driving record *ALL* court procedings are open to the public.

In a free and open society it is not only desired that this information be
made public but it is required!! You can not have a free society if
everything the government does is hidden away behind closed doors.

>If I give XYZ corp any info I expect them not to sell that info without
>my permission.  Verily, that information is valuable, therefore if they
>want to sell it, they should get my permission, and should pay me for it.

Why? Have you entered into any agreement that they would not sell this
information? Why is this information any more yours that it is theirs? How
can you claim title to property after you have given it away???

Ray you really should re-take Democracy 101 before you start ranting like
this.

- --
William H. Geiger III  http://www.amaranth.com/~whgiii

OS/2 PGP 2.6.3a at: http://www.amaranth.com/~whgiii/pgpmr2.html