Re: Ray Just doesn't get it.

In <[email protected]>, on 06/14/97
   at 07:40 AM, Kent Crispin <[email protected]> said:

>On Sat, Jun 14, 1997 at 08:58:36AM -0500, William H. Geiger III wrote:
>[...]
>>
>>You have two choices you can take the Libertarian view of a minimal
>>governement where all it's actions are reveiwable by it's citizens or you
>>can take the Statest view of big governemtn where all is's actions are
>>hidden and all "solutions" are more regulation and biger government.

>The consistent libertarian/anarchist view of this would be that the
>privacy or non-privacy of records is completely determined by contract
>between the person supplying the information and the agency collecting
>it.  For example, a medical license would be granted by agencies that
>granted such licenses.  If you wanted a license from a particular agency
>you would deal with them.  The value of the license is determined by  the
>reputation of the agency, not whether or not they give out  doctors home
>addresses.

This is fine if the licensing is being done in the private sector. If it
is being done by the government then it must be public. You can not have a
democracy if everything the governmnet does is hidden from the citizens it
is to server.

>>The whole privacy issue is a strawman proped up by the government to
>>frighten the sheeple so they can pass their agenda. What's their agenda?
>>To have a series of privacy laws they can hide behind to keep their
>>actions hidden from public view.

>An amusing example of a conspiracy theory.  You are pretty good at
>these, you know.  :-)

No conspiracy Kent just SOP for the government. I believe the current
phrase is "spin-doctoring". Anyone who has spent any time watching how
governemnt works knows that quite often they will create a "problem" for
the sole purpose of providing a "solution".

- --
William H. Geiger III  http://www.amaranth.com/~whgiii

OS/2 PGP 2.6.3a at: http://www.amaranth.com/~whgiii/pgpmr2.html