Re: Impact of Netscape kernel hole

On Sun, 15 Jun 1997, John Young wrote:

> That's the theme, hey, hey, of the Denver meet of global leaders on
> June 20. Could it be that that's what the Silicon chiefs went to DC to plan
> last week while speechifying contrarily to CNN, C-SPAN and Declan.
>
> Surely, though, bountifully trusty PGP is not party to this G-10 globalization
> of crippled crypto, or at least not its Chief Technology Officer, right?
>
> BTW, Declan's spin on national affairs is starting to smell of pontification
> to the
> masses, classis sign of "if only you knew what I've been let in on."
> Shimomuraism,
> that, empty data.

Really? Can you point to examples? I certainly don't mean to be.

Though I do learn a lot of things I can't write about directly. I had
dinner last week with a senior White House official and an FTC
commissioner and a bunch of other folks. The condition of the invite was
not reporting on what was discussed. Yesterday I spent the afternoon with
folks including a Supreme Court clerk and a Federal judge. Friday evening
I went to a party with a bunch of Republican heavyweights where we talked
about what the Senate leadership is doing with the crypto bills.

If I come across as arrogant or stand-offish, call me on it. But, geez, I
cover this stuff full-time and then some. Sometimes I *do* know stuff that
isn't public. If it's interesting enough, I pursue it, verify it with
folks who can talk on the record, and then write about it.

-Declan