Re: Senate panel nixes ProCODE II, approves McCain-Kerrey bill

At 3:03 PM -0700 6/19/97, John Smith wrote:
>>Frist also introduced amendments to the McCain-Kerrey
>>bill that were accepted:
>>
>>* Requiring that not any Federally-funded
>>  communications network, but only ones established "for
>>  transaction of government business" would use key
>>  escrow -- thereby jumpstarting the domestic market.
>
>Will this narrow the bill so it no longer applies to researchers,
>students and others who happen to use subsidized networks?  If so,
>that would take out the worst part of it.  Key escrow when you're
>sending to the government isn't so bad, since the government can
>read your message anyway.

There is still the fact the "Escrow Agent" is a target of opportunity.  I
don't worry about the government reading my tax return, but I certainly
want it kept confidential from everyone else.

Bill Frantz       | The Internet was designed  | Periwinkle -- Consulting
(408)356-8506     | to protect the free world  | 16345 Englewood Ave.
[email protected] | from hostile governments.  | Los Gatos, CA 95032, USA