Re: Cypherpunks write code

Lucky Green <[email protected]> writes:

> When I joined the Cypherpunks mailing list some years ago, few people even
> considered a legislative fix to the crypto issue. After all, crypto-anarchy
> is incompatible with the legislative process. Cypherpunks couldn't care
> less what happens in DC. They are banning crypto? What else is new?
>
> Cypherpunks know that governments do not like crypto. As crypto-anarchy
> spreads, they will like it even less. The attempt to get governments to
> sanction crypto is therefore futile. In the end, all non-GAK crypto will be
> banned.
>
> But who cares? Cypherpunks write code! We know that we need to get the
> tools out. Deployment wins.
>
> So let's not get hung up on the events in DC. Don't call your Senator.
> Don't waste time reading "policy posts". Write code!
>
> We have monumental tasks ahead of us. Anon remailers exist today. A way of
> reliably receiving anon email will be deployed this year. Web anonymizers
> that truly conceal your identity are in limited beta. Fully anonymous ecash
> will be available soon. DC nets should be deployed early next year. [But
> don't let this stop you from working  on DC nets. Modern designs only
> double the message bandwidth. This is very reasonable. We need more
> implementations].
>
> There is much work still to be done. We need stego front ends for many of
> these services. And credentials need to be implemened. A task that hasn't
> even been touched yet.

I've been discussing off-line what I consider a good programming project
that would encourage the use of digital signatures and make Usenet more
usable than it is now.  If anyone wants to donate your time coding,
please let me know and I'll tell you what it's about. It's cool.

(If and when I find the time to write code for free, it'll be the spambot :-)

---