Re: CDT Policy Post 3.08 - Senate Committee Approves Key Crypto Bill

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 19:44:33 -0400 (EDT)
From: Charles Platt <[email protected]>
To: Declan McCullagh <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: CDT Policy Post 3.08 - Senate Committee Approves Key Crypto Bill (fwd)

> From: "Shabbir J. Safdar" <[email protected]>

> We owe them a great big debt of thanks, not the derision that goes with
> Alice in Wonderland political punditry.

They did what they did because they thought it was in their interests;
otherwise they wouldn't have done it. We owe them nothing, and I am
horrified to see this phrase. How much do you owe a parasite that tries
to negotiate with other parasites to take slightly less of your blood
than they originally expected?

Statements similar to yours have been made so many times, scolding
"extremists" for "not being realistic." I seem to remember something about
extremism in defense of liberty being no vice, and moderation no virtue.
Either way, if you compromise, you don't get what you want. That is
absolutely obvious. So why compromise?