"Strength of encryption standard proved again"

( [email protected] removed from the distribution list, as I am not a
subscriber to that list, and Perry has admonished me when I have
accidentally left his list on the cc: to my messages)

Reuter (Washington, Friday), Security experts reported today that the
nation's encryption standard, "DES," has been proved to be secure. "It took
more than 1000 computers working for 3 months before a single "toy example"
was finally found, " reported Murray Bowdark, Director of the Computer
Security Association, Ft. Meade, Maryland.

"This shows that even a concerted effort by thousands of hackers will take
months," said Bowdark.  "And since hacking like this is outlawed by new
legislation just passed by Congress, this makes "cracking DES" about as
improbable as proving that the CIA imported drugs."

(OK, I confess. Not a real press release. But, as ET notes below in his
article, the spin doctors are already drawing the conclusion that many of
us expected they would draw: by using the crack to prove that this means
DES is resistant against thousands of computers running for months. And to
tell the truth, were I less aware of some of the issues surrounding
hardware-based DES-crackers, I admit that this report would tend to leave
me with this impression. I can imagine most of our parents would look up
from the CNN report on this and say, if they said anything, "OK, so my bank
account is pretty secure.")