Re: New Laws in Oregon - "Land of the Legal betatest"

On Sat, 21 Jun 1997, Roy M. Silvernail wrote:

> > How do you propose to deal with such things as the Telecommunications Act
> > of 1996 (which incidently included the CDA)?   I can see a problem where
> > one sentence or clause gets thrown out of a major bill (say a compromise
> > budget, that someone screwed up one minor ammendment), and if you have
> > that happen 3 times in 6 years, you've lost 90% of your senators!  I'm not
> > saying that your idea isn't without merit, just that it's got a few
> > problems that strike me as somewhat major..
>
> Please elaborate, as I can't see _any_ problem with eliminating 90% of
> the sitting legislature.

You've completely missed my point.  This would be an on-going problem.
Congress can only function with some idea of compromise in it.  When
you're passing budgets, especially the kind of budgets we have right now,
they get big and complicated, I can't see that changing significantly,
even with a massive turnover of members.  But having no consistency in
Congress at all, even for some "good" reps would be horrible.

Ryan Anderson - <Pug Majere>     "Who knows, even the horse might sing"
Wayne State University - CULMA   "May you live in interesting times.."
[email protected]                        Ohio = VYI of the USA
PGP Fingerprint - 7E 8E C6 54 96 AC D9 57  E4 F8 AE 9C 10 7E 78 C9