Sign you source code (was Re: why we need source code (was Re: RC5 crack))

In <[email protected]>, on 06/22/97
   at 09:14 AM, Adam Back <[email protected]> said:

>- those running the rc5 crack don't sign their binaries (presumably
>  because they don't use PGP, or don't know what it is or something),
>  who knows what you're downloading, virus, disk formatter, what ever.
>  If you had source code, you could verify it yourself at least, even
>  if there is no signature.

>- This problem with taking too few keys, if you had the source, and they
>  can't be bothered to write instructions, or even brief usage notes,
>  you could at least figure out how to use it from the source

It's a shame that more shareware/freeware authors don't sign their code.

I wrote a small Rexx script that signs all my source code, signs the
binaries, creates the zip archive & signs it then creates a wrapper zip
archive for the archive & the detached signature file.

For C, H & CMD files you can clear sign the text files and still be able
to compile them without revmoving the signatures.

Example Test.C

  main(){
  .
  .
  .
  }

Add the following to the top and bottom of the file:

  */

  main(){
  .
  .
  .
  }

  /*

Now clearsign the file.

Now add the following to the top and bottom of the message:

  /*
  */

Now the PGP Signature has been commented out of the source code so it will
not interfere with compiling. The end user can verify the signature
without any modifications.

I don't know if this will work with other languages that use different
dilimiters. It all depends if you have the ability to comment out a block
of text or if you need to add a dilimiter to every line.

William H. Geiger III  http://www.amaranth.com/~whgiii

OS/2 PGP 2.6.3a at: http://www.amaranth.com/~whgiii/pgpmr2.html