Re: Party on IRC

Leonard Janke said:

> ftp://ftp.csua.berkeley.edu/pub/cypherpunks/applications/circ.tar.gz ?
>
> Didn't look into it too closely, but I noticed it doesn't do
> authentication.

Circ uses 3DES for encryption and does key exchange with RSA.
It runs on top of irc, and encrypts/decrypts by running a program
in the backgound. There is also a standalone client.

I'm not sure that authentication is wanted or needed for irc.
There have been a lot of problems with people grabbing a list
of everyone on irc at a given time, then e-mailing them spam
or vague threats. ircd 2.9.2 implements the +a mode for channels
which somehow disallows listing user information even if you are
on the channel with them.

--
Kevin L. Prigge                     | "The only thing that saves us from
Systems Software Programmer         | the bureaucracy is it's