Re: Ray Just doesn't get it.

On Fri, 13 Jun 1997 [email protected] wrote:

> If the state issues me a permit, they probably have a right to the
> information pertaining to the permit, e.g. they do need the make, model,
> year, and similar information about the car to issue a title or
> registration.  If they are issuing state ID, they need to know that I am
> me in order to issue it.  They don't need to place my mother's maiden name
> into the record although I think it appears on my birth certificate, and
> would cause problems since this is used as an informal password.  My
> driver's license is a permit to drive, not a permit to be me.  You can
> make a case for the database containing my age, but date of birth?  Much
> of what appears is not necessary for the purpose stated.
>
> So are you making the case for having the state ask every detail about
> your life and being able to place it in the licensing database, or only
> answers to those questions relevant to issuing the license?

I'm making the case that information I share with (for example) the DMV
should not be viewable by those OUTSIDE of the DMV and NYPD without my
consent - i.e. if Joe Insurance Inc. wants to insure my car, they need my
permission to have the DMV release the info; but some folks have taken
this to other weird tangents, such as polarizing one's point of view into
either libertarian or stasist.  I hold neither.  And I've given up on the
cluelessness of the same folks, so the topic I've dropped. :)

.+.^.+.|  Ray Arachelian    | "If you wanna touch the sky, you must  |./|\.
..\|/..|[email protected]| be prepared to die.  And I hate cough  |/\|/\
../|\..| "A toast to Odin,  | For with those which eternal lie, with |.\|/.
.+.v.+.|God of screwdrivers"| strange aeons, even death may die.     |.....