Re: Ray Just doesn't get it.

On Sat, 14 Jun 1997, William H. Geiger III wrote:

> >Should it include your address and phone number?
>
> Yes

Well then, so much for asking the phone company to NOT list your number in
the phone book.  If someone wants to find you, all they have to do is
cough up some dough and register themselves as an insurance broker or
whatever and they can look at DMV records to get your phone number.
Thanks but no thanks.  You are being too dense on this.

> Two wrongs don't make a right Ray. The whole CIA NSA thing is just a
> flimsy straw man. All the documants being discused are on the state and
> local level. They do not have "national security" that they can hide
> behinde.

NSA I'll grant you might be a straw man.  FBI and CIA records should be
open to all to read - except ongoing current stuff, but I don't mean that
they should be open 50 years after the fact.  Government abuses DO and
HAVE occured.  I neededn't cite things like Waco and Ruby Ridge, do I?

What threat were those events to National Security?

> >But should the public know Joe's phone number and address and date of
> >birth?  Gee, weren't we screaming this sucks to easily accessible Texas
> >DMV records a few days ago?
>
> YOU may have been screaming about it I was not.

That is quite telling of your beliefs.

> You have two choices you can take the Libertarian view of a minimal
> governement where all it's actions are reveiwable by it's citizens or you
> can take the Statest view of big governemtn where all is's actions are
> hidden and all "solutions" are more regulation and biger government.

Why should I accept being pidgeonholed into one category or the other?
Get a clue.

> The whole privacy issue is a strawman proped up by the government to
> frighten the sheeple so they can pass their agenda. What's their agenda?
> To have a series of privacy laws they can hide behind to keep their
> actions hidden from public view.

Um yeah, sure, and if you've nothing to hide why ask for privacy right?
Why don't you like put cameras in your home and monitors on the street so
anyone who wants to listen in on you and watch you can do so?

There should be no privacy issue.  Privacy should be a right as should the
right to use strong encryption WITHOUT GAK.  That is the point of strong
encryption without GAK after all: Privacy.  End of Story.

.+.^.+.|  Ray Arachelian    | "If you wanna touch the sky, you must  |./|\.
..\|/..|[email protected]| be prepared to die.  And I hate cough  |/\|/\
../|\..| "A toast to Odin,  | For with those which eternal lie, with |.\|/.
.+.v.+.|God of screwdrivers"| strange aeons, even death may die.     |.....