Re: The Grand Compromise is Coming

Eric Murray <[email protected]> writes:
> Tim May writes:
> >
> > The terrible, terrible S.909 McCain-Kerrey bill is probably a negotiating
> > card in the coming Grand Compromise.
>
> As Declan notes, Congress is driven to compromise.  The
> government side can propose ever more draconian laws in order to
> engineer the 'compromise' to whatever it wants.  On the other side, we
> are stuck, because we have been asking for things that we really want, not
> bargaining chips.  Even if we were to ask for bargaining chips that
> are more than we really want, how much further than completely free
> crypto can you go?

Oh I dunno.  We could get Tim to give a congressional statement,
highlighting the interesting consequences of a fully developed crypto
anarchic society.  That'd put the fear into them.  ('Course the
problem is we'd never get him to go within 100 miles of the place, and
he'd probably consider it a waste of time talking to them anyway.)

But there's scope I think.

But would it help?  Don't know.  It gets close to some aspects of the
NSA scare stories, money launderers, tax evasion, etc. etc.

Adam