Re: Comparing Cryptographic Key Sizes II

At 9:25 PM -0700 6/24/97, Declan McCullagh wrote:
>At 23:33 +0100 6/24/97, Adam Back wrote:
>>I don't think we can explain it any more technically and expect it to
>>be useful to a journalist.

>Now, I don't want to start a "who's the geekiest geek" contest, since y'all
>will win hands-down -- but I want to point out that while we may not be
>crypto-whizzes, not all of us are entirely clueless either.

I'm not worried about the journalist-with-a-clue.  I am worried about Joe
citizen (the restless "sheepie").  I believe deep in my heart that if Joe
citizen understood the issue, he'd say, "No way am I going to let some
government bastard paw through my personal business."  Based on this
belief, I applaud Adam's attempt to explain the crypto issues in simple
language.

Bill Frantz       | The Internet was designed  | Periwinkle -- Consulting
(408)356-8506     | to protect the free world  | 16345 Englewood Ave.
[email protected] | from hostile governments.  | Los Gatos, CA 95032, USA