NRA and National Online Records Check bullshit

At 12:19 PM -0700 6/27/97, Bill Stewart wrote:
>http://supct.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/95-1478.ZS.html
>A messy 5-4 decision, with two concurrences and three dissents.
>
>Overturns the part of the Brady Bill that forces local officials
>to perform some of the administrative functions.
>Lots of complex commentary.

And Friends of Liberty (assuming that is not a trademarked property of
Wired �, Explorers � of the Digital Frontier � and Cyberspace �) should not
be supporting the National Rifle Association proposal, either.

One of the reasons I quit the NRA was there strong support, indeed, their
strong lobbying for, a "national on-line records check." The idea is that
if Joe Blow purchases a gun in Skokie, Illinois, the computerized national
data base would flag that he's some sort of criminal, whether major or
minor, in some other state.

This national data base would undoubtedly be cross-indexed by SS numbers,
aliases, etc.

Partial data bases like this already exist, of course, a la the NCIC. This
would take us further in the direction of a national dossier system.

And the "while you wait" system, which would lead to, "Sorry, sir, your
application to purchase a handgun has been declined" sorts of events, also
means that vastly more people will be making queries of this system.

My solution is simple: no checks whatsoever. If someone commits a crime,
lock him or her up or shoot them, or whatever. But once the penalty is
over, all normal rights return. The right to vote, the right to free
speech, the right to own weapons, etc.

(Somehow most people think it's OK that convicted felons lose their rights
to vote and to have guns. (Once they're released, of course.) Do they think
convicted felons no longer have religious freedom? Can no longer write as
they wish? Jeesh.)

The National Rifle Association has become a den of statist compromisers. It
should be added to any hit lists.

--Tim May