Re: Dr. Dobbs Cryptography and Security CD-ROM

At 04:02 PM 6/30/97 +0000, Paul Bradley wrote:
>> It is only available to US customers.
>
>Possibly some benevolent US cypherpunk who gets a copy of this CD could see
>that the texts from it find their way onto either an FTP server or
>somewhere like sci.crypt??? Anonymous responses and pointers expected if
>anyone does have the time and is good enough to do this.

No point in being anonymous when I'm flaming you.  Bruce did _not_ appear
to be saying "I'd be shocked, _shocked_ if this were posted to the net."
He said he's talked his publishers into putting some great crypto books
on CD-ROM, which is the sort of the publishers do to make money.
Even if you're not impressed with copyright laws as law, or with the
enforcability of copyright laws, you can still not rip them off.
Adam Back, by contrast, said he'd be quite pleased if some US cypherpunk
were to physically mail him a copy of the disk, which he'd pay for.
While that's arguably violating export laws, it's not ripping anyone off.

You could argue, BTW, that CD-ROMs _are_ print - after all, they're
just dark and light dots on plastic intended to be read optically,
and they're not much different from a really small print Braille font.
You might need to argue that with Judge Patel, _after_ the DoiJ/NSA/BXA
appeal the Bernstein settlement and lose :-)  And it's probably worth
getting the bar-code version of the T-Shirt through export first.

#			Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart, +1-415-442-2215 [email protected]
#   (If this is a mailing list or news, please Cc: me on replies.  Thanks.)