Re: Hettinga's e$yllogism

> juicy, but just as viable.  And Nazi Germany is also proof that strong
> crypto really doesn't do much good when the rubber hoses can be
> deployed without hinderance.

Strong crypto you must remember is only part of the solution. The reason
for the lack of direct response from the Jews during the holocaust was
the "legally elected" 3rd Reichs programme of disarming it`s citizens.

Strong crypto along with other communication technologies provide a
strong and secure framework within which armed resistance can take place,
these same technologies also allow for infowarfare type attacks on the
infrastructure of whole countries or jurisdictions.

> In fact, your safety and wealth depends in large measure on the
> protections provided by that government you scorn.  In any healthy
> tyranny the jackboots would have been on your throat long ago,
> regardless of your little arsenal, and your money would be purchasing
> toys for the rulers.

Well, tax money already does purchase toys for the rulers and the
jackboots are moving towards our throats slowly so no-one notices. Safety
and wealth derive from free market economies and rights to self-defence,
not from a government.

> > >It's amazing how little faith libertarians have in the market system,
> > >isn't it?  :-)
> >
> > A cheap shot, even taking into account Kent Crispin's shilling for GAK.
>
> Like shooting fish in a barrel, really.  Anyway, you know that I don't
> favor GAK, so where are you coming from?  All I have ever said is
> that there is strong corporate demand for enterprise level key
> recovery.

For once we agree, CACK (corporate access to corporate keys) is a service
that is in demand, and will be more in demand in future. I see no reason
for this to involve any government or be a regulated market, a
competitive corporate escrow market is the best way to go.

        Datacomms Technologies data security
       Paul Bradley, [email protected]
  [email protected], [email protected]
       Http://www.cryptography.home.ml.org/