One effort for Internet Privacy

On a lark, I dashed off a "letter to the editor" of the San Francisco Chronicle, quoted below, lo and behold it got published today.  You will see I simplified and softened the message somewhat -- a little spin for the good guys never hurt:  (published as lead letter, nice headline)

"HOW FAR SHALL WE LET THE EAVESDROPPERS GO?"

Editor -- Washington wants the right to "wire-tap" private communications on the Internet, and the issue is now being debated in Congress. I'm not raising the "content" issue, which can be handled by screening software or by ratings; this is instead the issue of privacy in person-to-person communications.

The rationale for the bills before Congress is law enforcement, giving officials new methods to detect criminal activity.  All well and good, but is it really wise to grant the bureaucracy access into this vital channel of personal communications before we fully understand its potentials?  How far shall we let the eavesdroppers go?  Beware, these aren't casual issues --- your rights are in danger.

CHRIS AVERY
Oakland