Re: Denning backs away from GAK

Tim May writes:

 > * Next year's report finds solid evidence that crypto is being used to
 > hinder investigations, and has indeed had an effect.

This is obviously the strategy here.  If we lend credibility to the
examination of chicken entrails because the Sorcerer is saying something
we agree with, then we are powerless to denounce the process as flim-flam
when we wake up one morning and find ourselves no longer in the Sorcerer's
graces.

Similarly, if we buy into the notion that national crypto policy should be
dictated by the needs of law enforcement, instead of fundamental
Constitutional considerations, because law enforcement is purring and
courting our favor, then it is only a matter of time before we find that
we have stupidly oiled the very machinery which will be used for our
beheading.

As Tim says, stick with Constitutional arguments, not utilitarian ones,
and beware of Wise Persons from the East bearing Gifts.

     [email protected]   $    via Finger                       $
         {Free Cypherpunk Political Prisoner Jim Bell}