Re: disposable remailers (was Re: Eternity Uncensorable?)

Andy Dustman <[email protected]>
> > Wasn't there an email forgery web page around for a while.  The idea
> > was that you filled in the details of who you wanted to send to, what
> > address you wanted it to appear you had sent it from, and paste your
> > message in this form box.  It did some kind of crude sendmail forgery
> > for you.
>
> Hmmm. Someone has recently been forging mail to appear to be from cracker
> through something like this (very bad forgery, headers are all wrong).

I said "wasn't there", as in past tense.  It got nuked years ago now
(literally) because of complaints.  When I looked at the page it still
had the text but a note that it was disabled, and why.

Just wandering if anyone knew if anyone else had set up something more
recently that still worked.

> > You'd not want to use the same public access account regularly.
>
> I'm not thinking of an account so much as maybe a PC in a university
> computer cluster. Pick one and go. At a big university there should be
> several clusters around campus.

You might get away with that for a pretty long time, I guess.

> > I think the connecting to the web based interface of one of those free
> > web gateways via www.anonymizer.com web based interface has potential.
>
> It does, but I know The Anonymizer blocks some sites, at their request.

Right.  So there is one anonymizer, and if we make a big game of using
this method, Lance will get threats, and at best be asked to block
them.  We need something more distributed.

That network of anonymizers isn't here yet.

> > How much trouble can you get in with ISPs for forging email?  Do they
> > care?
>
> Mindspring cares. My ISP was absorbed by them about two weeks after I
> signed up. They say in their terms of service that impersonating someone
> else is forbidden, but they specifically allow the use of anonymous
> remailers and nicknames. I assume this means forging is frowned upon,
> unless you are impersonating someone who doesn't exist, I guess.

Well I was thinking along the lines of:

	[email protected]

type addresses yes.  You ain't imitating anyone there.  I wonder if
they frown on generating non-replyable email addresses though.
Non-existant domains.  I speculated in the previous post that perhaps
the habit of using:

	[email protected]

might make ISPs accustomed to having people use non-replyable email
address all the time.

Adam