Subsect?

At 12:53 AM -0700 8/9/97, David D.W. Downey wrote:
>>Paul H. Merrill wrote:
>> judeo-christian isn't a religion.  Christian is.
>>
>Judeo- Christian is a subsect of Christianity in it's generic form.
>(Both my parents are ministers, and this has been drilled into my head.)

Not a _sub_sect, or subset, but a _super_set.

Unless JC had a time machine, Judaism predates Xtianity.

In any case, the convention is that "Judeo-Christianity" is the general
tradition connected with the Old Testament, the Ten Commandments, the
pre-Xtian prophets, and so on.

If your parents really drilled this "sub-sect" business into your head,
maybe you ought to ask them to lighten up on the drill, or use a different
bit, or something.

--Tim May