Re: Comments on PGP5.0 OCR

At 17:46 11.08.97 +0200, you wrote:
>At 15:32 11.08.97 +0100, Adam Back wrote:
>>
>>Mark Grant <[email protected]> writes:
>>>
>>> I just wanted to make a few comments on the proofreading, in case
anyone
>>> feels like releasing software in a similar manner in future:
>>>
>>> [...] the OCR-ed pages at HIP included a per-line
>>> checksum. This was good... but... it also checksummed the
whitespace.
>>> This wasn't a problem in theory, because tabs were indicated by a
special
>>> character. However, most lines had both tabs *and* spaces and
there was no
>>> way to see where the spaces were because they were overrriden by
the tab

>>How about a book full of 2D barcodes?
>>
>>As a plus perhaps the book would be more compact, as you could gzip
it
>>first -- the full source tree looks to be over a foot of
doublesided
>>paper!
>>

>How about importing the scanned in source (in electronic form) back
into
>the States and doing a 'diff' there. This could produce an
electronic
>patchfile to repair the mistakes in the scanned in code, meaning
that the
>whole of the code could be cleaned up in one go. This patchfile
could then
>be exported as it holds no crypto source code. (Somehow this seems
*too*
>simple. Would this perhaps get up the US gubmint's nose? Have I
missed some
>nuance or implicit limitation?)

How far could this be pushed? In the extreme case we could supply a
file full of junk (random bytes) and then apply a patch to it to turn
it into source code.

http://www.dcs.ex.ac.uk/~aba/rsa/

"16iII*o\U@{$/=$z;[(pop,pop,unpack"H*",<>