Re: New use for Eternity Server

On Mon, 18 Aug 1997, Ray Arachelian wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Aug 1997, Alan wrote:
>
> > Uh, not exactly...
> >
> > The web browser will not show the code correctly.  (It will have problems
> > with > and <, for example.)  I guess it depends if you want it for display
> > or for execution.
>
> I've never had a problem (using Netscape) just simply opening up .c
> files directly.  It recognizes it's not HTML and display's the < and > (as
> in #include <blah.h> fine.

This is because it is defaulting to text/plain for the mime-type.

> However, you're right about the <PRE> tags, using them won't work. :)  Not
> using them works better... though having a filter will do the trick I
> guess...  Mispoke before.... the #includes show up without the <header.h>
> info...

If you think that is bad, try using segments of Perl code between <pre>
and/or code tags...  Mangle does not quite describe it well enough.

> > Maybe the eternity documents need to have some sort of content header.
>
> Or better yet, just compress the damn things with GZIP or ZIP, or
> whatever, and have the servers handle them as binaries.  Would work better
> in the long run anyway since it will waste less space.

This assumes that the user has support for those compression formats.  (I
run into this too much with Solaris and Windows, for various reasons.)

> Can current eternity servers handle plain binaries?

And if they do, what encoding format do they support?  (Mime, Base-64,
and/or uuencode.)

[email protected] | Note to AOL users: for a quick shortcut to reply
Alan Olsen            | to my mail, just hit the ctrl, alt and del keys.