Re: Spam-killing PGP5/ecash postage plugin Was Re: Remailer chaining plugin for Eudora

--- begin forwarded text

Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 18:31:17 -0400
To: [email protected], [email protected]
From: Robert Hettinga <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Spam-killing PGP5/ecash postage plugin Was Re: Remailer
 chaining  plugin for Eudora
Sender: <[email protected]>

At 4:29 pm -0400 on 8/21/97, Somebody wrote:

> Sorry, but I think e-postage is among the worst ideas I've ever heard of. I
> don't think it's clear that it would eliminate spam. It might even increase
> it -- I'll bet the overall costs of email are lower than for paper mail --

But the relative present cost of spam (free) is, um, siginificantly, less
than it would cost with e$postage.

> and it would be the death of mailing lists.

Not at all. At the very least, mail from lists I'm subcribed to could come
postage due. And, since I'm the person who's charging postage, sender pays,
remember, I could charge free postage to my friends, like the 1000 or so in
cypherpunks, or the 300 on e$ and mac-crypto. :-).

There are work arounds. Face it, the world is going to specific cash
settled auction pricing on internet services, and not bulk, or even
probabalistic, pricing.

No problem. It'll mean cheaper services in the long run, not only because
someone then owns the "commons", but because efficient autonomously run
cash-settled auctions are always cheaper than transfer pricing and
"planning". It's like comparing the Chicago Board of Trade wheat pit, the
world's most efficient wheat market, to the committee which set Soviet
wheat production quotas. Notice who was selling wheat to whom in *that*
scenario. :-).

Reality, economic or otherwise, is not optional...

Cheers,
Bob Hettinga

Robert Hettinga ([email protected]), Philodox
e$, 44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA
The e$ Home Page: http://www.shipwright.com/

Where people, networks and money come together: Consult Hyperion
http://www.hyperion.co.uk                    [email protected]
Like e$? Help pay for it!  See <http://www.shipwright.com/beg.html>
Or, for e$/e$pam sponsorship, <mailto:[email protected]>

--- end forwarded text